Thursday 4 January 2018

Evaluation Question 2 draft

During the creation stage of my two ancillary products and my music video I wanted to make all my three products relate to each other in a certain way. I chose three conventions to link between the three products; these were the, costumes, fonts and the colour schemes.

Firstly, it was very important that I chose the right costumes that fitted with our chosen genre. This meant that I needed to take time in researching into what clothes existing bands in the Indie/rock genre have worn, before in their own ancillary products and music videos. During my research I found that the styling is very casual in which is what I tried to carry across into all three of my media products. This is so that I kept all the conventions of the Indie/rock genre realistic and recognisable. By keeping this element the same throughout all three of my products this will help the audience associate all of my products to one and other, as this is also a common convention used in existing, professional media products. For example Kasabian used this convention in their Eez-eh video, as they kept the same outfits during certain shots and then changed for another which involved different lyrics and camera angles, they then changed back into the previous outfits when they went back to the other shots.

Secondarily, too keep all three of my media products associated with each other I needed to keep the fonts that I had used similar throughout all of my ancillary products and music video, this meant that I needed to chose a font that was associated with the Indie/rock genre and used it on both my diggipak and advert. The fonts that I used were bold and in big sized writing for the titles. This was so that the words stuck out on the page and were easily recognisable for my audience. This is important because I want my audience to be able to see my products and instantly remember which album is coming out and that it is my band. During my research I found that this type of font is used throughout the indie/rock genre. This is another reason why I chose to use this, because I wanted to use similar elements in my work so that my products have the same conventions to fit in with the Indie/rock genre. On my digipak I chose to use a basic white colour over a very bright pink, this is because I wanted the words to stand out on the page. I then chose to use the same style of font for my advert and again use the same colours to help it stand out. For example bands like Kasabian and The Arctic Monkeys also used these sharp, bold fonts in their media products.

Finally, I wanted to use the same colours throughout all three of my media products, especially my advert and my digipak. This is because I want my audience to be able to see the connection and instantly recognise that it is a media product by The One Second Riot (my band). The colours that I used in were pink, black and white. These colours are traditionally used throughout the Indie/rock genre, which is one of the reasons why I chose these, because I wanted to use the same conventions so that my work could relate to the chosen genre. For example, Kasabian used pink and black for their 48:13 album and The Arctic Monkeys used black and white for their AM album digipak and advert. This wasn’t the only reason for my decision; I also wanted to use colours that are going to stand out to my audience’s eyes, as this is very import when marketing my product, as I want to sell. As I didn’t use these colours as much during my music video I still tried to add a small element of this, by using the negative effects with the bright colours, in order to link all three of my media products. I tried to link all three of these products in order for my audience to recognise all three product belonged to my band.

No comments:

Post a Comment